Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sometimes you just know

Sometimes you just know right away that it isn't going to work out. That's how it was with my muslin for the Hot Patterns Plain and Simple Fitted T-Shirt.



I knew right away that I would not finish this, but kept going to see what I could learn.

Bad things:
  • Waaaaay too short for me.
  • Sleeves are too tight.
  • Serious drag lines in the front.
  • (The fabric is too thin, but that is not the fault of the pattern.)
  • Body may be too loose.
Good things:
  • Finally configured my serger not to stretch the hell out of knits. (I've just been using it to finish the edges on woven fabrics. Lame, I know.)
  • I made a bound neckline for the first time, even though it looked like I was drunk when I did it.
  • I will learn a lot from working to get this pattern right.
I will need to check my fitting books to figure out how to solve some of the problems. We'll see. It may just be easier to try another pattern. (Although where is the sewing lesson in that?)

2 comments:

Mom2fur said...

Could you enlarge the armholes and just make the sleeves a bit bigger? It wouldn't be hard to add length, too. I'm not sure what you mean by 'drag lines,' but I wonder if they'd disappear with a more substantial fabric and more length?

I like the color, and it's great you learned a few things! You didn't do so badly with the bound neckline, LOL!

Adelaide B said...

Drag lines are when you get funny wrinkles in your garment that come from poor fit. I'm gonna play around with this pattern some more before I give up on it. I really like the basics of it. Thanks so much for your comment!