Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pickles

Finally. I have been waiting forever for my lemon cucumbers to come in, and I just got enough to make a dozen jars of bread and butter pickles. Last summer was so crappy that I canned less than 10 jars. I am hoping beyond hope that I will have another crop next weekend.



I use the recipe from the Joy of Cooking canning book, which got me a blue ribbon at the Puyallup Fair two years ago. I highly recommend it. I love making pickles. I make the vinegar ones and my husband makes the fermented ones (pickles, kimchi, and sauerkraut.) I also make jellies (sweet and hot) and pickled jalapenos.

This year's plan is to make:
  • More bread and butter pickles if I get more cukes.
  • Lemon jelly, maybe with ginger.
  • Pickled Jalapenos with carrots.
  • Maybe some grape jelly (I don't really feel like picking blackberries this year).
  • Some kind of hot pepper jam. My habaneros do not look like they are going to do anything, but I have some of those hot Thai peppers that might do the job. I could always buy some peppers, but it's not the same.
My mother and grandmother both canned when I was kid, and I decided a couple of years ago to keep up the tradition. I love having a little bit of summer shine through in the winter months. If I am able to put up some more pickles, I think I'll give a little tutorial.

1 comment:

Ellie P said...

mmmmmmmm bread and butter pickles. so jealous.