I use the recipe from the Joy of Cooking canning book, which got me a blue ribbon at the Puyallup Fair two years ago. I highly recommend it. I love making pickles. I make the vinegar ones and my husband makes the fermented ones (pickles, kimchi, and sauerkraut.) I also make jellies (sweet and hot) and pickled jalapenos.
This year's plan is to make:
- More bread and butter pickles if I get more cukes.
- Lemon jelly, maybe with ginger.
- Pickled Jalapenos with carrots.
- Maybe some grape jelly (I don't really feel like picking blackberries this year).
- Some kind of hot pepper jam. My habaneros do not look like they are going to do anything, but I have some of those hot Thai peppers that might do the job. I could always buy some peppers, but it's not the same.