Wednesday, October 22, 2008

New Sweater

I have a new sweater and I love it!



It is a Scoop Du Jour designed by Bonne Marie Burns in Black Knit Picks Swish Superwash (which I hear is not really that superwashy. I guess I'll find out. Although, I like the sweater so much I may just handwash to make sure.) I have made this pattern before (in fact, it is the green sweater in my previous post) and it works wonderfully as a basic-wear-everywhere layer. I would like to note, however, that it took me 5 months to knit this. Part of that was due to the fact that I have not been in a knitting groove. The other fact is that this is a mind-numbingly boring thing to work on. Nothing but stockingette and some ribbing. This was fine when I was in school and my brain was on overload, but unless I get super busy again, I am afraid I will not be making this sweater again any time soon.

I have been sewing a lot, but not taking any pictures. I have three tops that didn't work out so well, and honestly I don't want to memorialize them. One is a blue T-shirt that is wearable, but a little big. I need to work the kinks out this pattern before I make it again. The same problem with another Simplicity Built by Wendy pattern: it's a little big and the fabric I chose doesn't do it (or me) any favors. I also have another shirt from a tried and true pattern that was made from crap materials when I was feeling icky, and it is no surprise that the shirt sucks. It will be wearable for what I need it for, but I will not be feeling like a princess, let me tell you.

I am working a new swing coat from McCall's 5480 and it is really turning out well. So far there is only one thing that I feel looks wonky, but it is one the inside and no one can see it. (But I am not done yet, so we'll see.) It is made from a navy corduroy with some cheap polyester lining. However, not only is it my first coat, it is my first lined coat, and I am viewing it as a possibly wearable muslin.



I had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to attach the lining to the hem and was getting really frustrated because the instructions made no sense to me. There is a pleat in the back and I could not figure out how to get the lining to deal with that. I looked in my Reader's Digest sewing book, which didn't help me figure that part out, but did mention that some linings hang free at the bottom. I went and reread my pattern instructions, and yep, the lining does not attach. I am soo happy to know that. I can now finish my jacket.

2 comments:

noeysmommy said...

Both this one and the green sweater are lovely!

Adelaide B said...

Thanks!