Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Pleasures of a Garter Stitch Scarf

I enjoy knitting. It's fun, and I've gotten quite good at it over the years. I especially like to make sweaters; nothing else quite does it for me. I am called upon to knit some scarves and hats throughout the year, and I do it because I love the people who want my stuff.

The once thing that I hate knitting above all else is a garter stitch scarf because it is boooooooring. However, it is one of the things that I really like to wear; there is always one in my closet. Here is the one I made a year or two ago, and I wear this sucker all the time. It is one skein each blue and red of some GGH yarn that I cannot remember the name of. It was kind of already felted and super lightweight and soft.



I am currently working on another one to donate for a charity auction that the UW MBA program puts on. (I just graduated from this program 6 months ago.)



The yarn is Cocoon from Rowan and it is dreamy soft (merino and mohair)(and a little out of my price range for anything other than a scarf.) The green and blue stripes are really subtle; I think someone is going to love this. I, on the other hand, will start to hate the knitting of it soon. (Now that I see the picture of this, I think I want to go up a size or two on the needle.)

On the sewing front. I did make a black silk version of the Hot Pattterns Delicious Dress, but I need to fix the neck before I show it off. I am currently cutting out Simplicity 396, which is one of my favorite Built by Wendy tops.


Image from simplicity.com

I have a dress and shirt from this pattern already. I am going to make it tunic length, add pockets and embroidery, and take out some of the fullness in the sleeves.

2 comments:

Mom2fur said...

The green and blue together is so beautiful! I'm a crocheter, myself. I knit a little, but I'm not very good at it.

Adelaide B said...

Thanks. I crochet a little and am not very good at it!