Thursday, February 19, 2009

Hawaii Dress

Another finished, but unreported, project was the dress that I made for the most recent Hawaii trip: Simplicity 2702. (This picture is a little on the light side so you can see the details. Ok maybe you can't. Maybe I just need a new camera.)



Here is a close-up of the yoke.



All in all this was a pretty easy dress to make. Except for the the yoke. I always have a hard time setting geometrical shapes in place. Sometimes they work for me, and other times they don't. (I clip corners, I baste, I try really hard, and sometimes the magic just doesn't happen for me.) This yoke was pretty much ok, except there was some puckering at the bottom. I have to be real honest with you here, I will do anything I can to avoid ripping stuff like this out. I do not want to have to do something so horrible over again. So, instead of trying to reinsert the front panel, I put a ruffle there to cover the puckering and called it a day. And you know what? I like the little ruffle, and actually wish I had made it bigger. The dress is kind of dark, and the all-over pattern kid of hides the yoke detailing. The ruffle adds just a little touch of something. (I could be deluding myself, but I don't think so.) I just measured the area I wanted to cover and muliplied that by 3. Then I cut out a strip that long, zigzagged the edges, basted down the middle, pulled the threads to create the ruffle, and then sewed it on to the dress. Easy as pie.

While I do like this dress, I don't like the sleeve option that I chose. These little fluttery things aren't that flattering on me (I have kind of big arms,) so I'm trying to fugure out how I want to handle the situation: make it totally sleeveless, or buy some more fabric from Joann's and draft some ones that I like.

2 comments:

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Love your ruffle fix!

disa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.