Back in December, right before Christmas, I made the Hot Patterns Deco Vibe Delicious Dress. I was drawn to this dress because it had an updated 70's vibe, and I felt it was loose-fitting without being a mumu. I finally got a chance to wear it at a charity auction the other night, and I was very happy with the reception that it got. The fabric is a 4 ply silk that I got from Fabric Mart. (The following pictures have convinced me I need a better camera. It's fine for taking snapshots, but I think I want something just a little nicer.)
Dress in Action:
Dress on Wall (with more visible details):
I'm not gonna lie to you, I did not take a lot of care when making this dress. It was going to be my New Years dress before I decided that I just wanted to hang out at Scott's and watch TV. We were just about to leave town and I rushed through it. The seams are finished with the serger, and some of the handstitching on the inside is seriously wonky.
However, the dress looks ok on, and no one noticed any irregularities, so I'm going to accept it for its imperfect glory. I think the key to any success I had was the silk. I made the muslin out of a much heavier fabric with some stretch and it was awful. It drug on me and the stretch let it settle a little too much on the unflattering parts of my figure. The 4 ply silk worked perfectly. (I have never worked with silk before and my seams are a little ripply; I read somewhere later that I should stretch the seams a bit while sewing.) I also had to go one size down from what the measurements on the package said I should wear. (I wish Hot Patterns would put the actual measurements of the garment on the packet or pattern pieces; that's what I usually go by.)
The dress was pretty straightforward to make, but I had some issues with the neck. You sew all of the pieces together (except for the center front seam), gather the front bits, and then attach everything to the neck piece (which has been sewn together at the back seam, but not the front.) I found that the neck piece was not long enough, so I extended the gathering on the front up a bit more so I could join the neck and the body together perfectly. Then you sew the center front seam, and then add the the neck facing. I had a very hard time getting the neck/body seam to match perfectly at the center front, and in fact did not ever get it to do so. (It doesn't matter because there is a gather there that obscures it. You might notice it if you were staring really hard at my cleavage, but I'm gonna ask you not to do that.) I also had issues getting the downward point of the facing to rest on the center front seamline, which is why there is a button there. ( know I am not explaining this very well, but I don't have the pattern with me to show the line drawings, which would have been much clearer.)
I know it sounds like a big mess, but I got a lot of compliments on this dress, and I'm happy to have it. I think I'll make another one, not in black, and I will just need to take my time to make sure everything matches up.
Oh yeah. I am finally working on a sewing project. Yes, it's another Hot Patterns A-line skirt, but I am trying to get the pattern just right. It's driving me nuts. This time, I'm working in a lightweight green wool.