Saturday, August 8, 2009

I Heart Summer

Summer is busy up here in Seattle. When the weather is nice, we all go out and play. So, not much blogging has been going on, but there has been a little sewing.

Simplicity 2586



This is one of the Cynthia Rowley patterns. At first I wasn't overly impressed with them because they seemed so simple, but I ended up being pretty happy with this one. (I bought it because I wanted a very simple tunic to use for this fabric.) The arm and neck binding is really quite nice, although I need to work on my stitching in the ditch technique. (Bought a new pressure foot for that.) I also like the fact that there is a little waist shaping, although some of that was lost when I graded the hips to a larger size. The tunic was really long, even with the 2 inch hem it called for, so I shortened it quite a bit. The fabric was purchased in Portland at Fabric Depot. (On sale of course!)

I am currently working on Vogue 2902 which is one of their vintage reprints. It's for my friend Bradie (my co-parent's girlfriend) who gave me her vintage pattern and fabric stash for Christmas, along with a ton of the Singer Sewing Library books. (She finally realized she wasn't ever going to take up sewing.) In return, I am making her a custom fitted dress. It's pretty straight-forward except the bodice is put together a little wonky.

Here is the bodice (self lined):



Here is the yoke (ends up being kind of a complecated tube.):



Then you hand stitch the yoke on top of the bodice:



Its kind of a odd technique, but it looks pretty cool when finished. Up next the skirt!

2 comments:

The Slapdash Sewist said...

That dress is going to be so cute! She gave her stash to the right person.

Tany said...

Fantastic looking tunic (the fabric is TDF!!)