Thursday, January 28, 2010

Design-It-Yourself Clothes - A line skirt (part 2)

Here is the second version of my A-Line skirt pattern from Design-It-Yourself Clothes.


The last version suffered from not having enough hip shaping. This version suffers from weird hip shaping. I won't know how it really looks until I make up the muslin. (I think the hip point is too low.) If this doesn't work, I'm gonna pull out my Hot Patterns 24/7 skirt and see what they are doing and compare that to my pattern.

I realized that in my last post, I forgot to include a picture of the things that I used to make the pattern.



1) quilting ruler
2) measuring tape
3) calculator
4) french curves
5) Sharpie
6) pencil
7) tape
8) scissors
9) funny clover tool I can't remember the name of

I'm pretty sure I will have to make at least one more pattern, but I'm having a lot of fun!

8 comments:

Tanya said...

At least you're enjoying the journey, I wish you success!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Anytime I've tried drafting for myself the hip area looks weird--but it's from being *too* precise about my measurements. My hips really are that much bigger than the rest of me! So I feel your pain on this.

Linda said...

I highly recommend a hip curve. I got mine in graduate school. It really helps to smooth out the line. My hip to waist ratio is extreme and I've found a hip curve very useful. I also use it a lot for pattern pieces with gentle curves.
This site has a picture that looks like my hip curve. There are a bunch of other sites that offer hip curves. It looks like they run around $16-20. I don't know if this is in your price range, but it is a good investment. They last forever (mine is 20 years old.)

http://sewtrue.com/Store/Curve-Stick-Hip-Curve-P248.html

Linda said...

I have no idea if the site above is good or not. It just had a good picture of a hip curve...

cal said...

hi adelaide! my google alerts tipped me off to your post ;n) i think the pattern looks great, you just need to smooth out that hip point into a gentler curve. a hip curve is useful but not necessary; you can either do it freehand or use something large and round (a pot lid?) to make it less of a point, more of a curve. hope that helps! i'd love for you to join the flickr group if you want to: http://www.flickr.com/groups/design-it-yourself/ and i think it'd be fun and helpful if people post pics of their patterns too!

Bonnie said...

Heidi,

I highly recommend a tool called a hip curve! You can google it - I think you can order one from Sew True. I can't live without one. It's my precious possession! Bonnie

Bonnie said...

Oops! I guess I should have read the other comments first! Hip curve!

Andrea said...

Linda's advice about Sew True is right on. I ordered a Vary Form Curve from that site a few years back, and still use it to this day.