Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My Holy Grail of Vintage Patterns

First off, Hawaii was great. We spent 4 days in Oahu, 1 day on the Big Island (Hilo side), and 5 days on Kauai. Sunny sunny sunny. I think I'll stop there, before the U.S. East Coasters get mad at me. I bought 2 yards of a Robert Kaufman stretch twill in a flower camo pattern. I looooove weird camo.

Anyway, about a month ago, I purchased something that I had been looking for quite a long time: my Holy Grail of vintage patterns. Vogue Paris Original 1250.



I'd bid on this a couple of times on Ebay, but never won. (Jean Desses patterns can go for quite a lot of money.) I had a Google Alert out on it, and found a woman in Montreal who had listed it on Craigslist. I ended up with it for 18 American dollars. The Gods smiled in my favor.

While I do love the dress, the crazy crazy dress with an overlay, It's the shaping of the coat that I love. It has a sculptural quality that I think is just amazing.

Pattern description:

"Easy-fitting paneled tunic dress with scooped neckline has tied bow trimming or buckled belt. Above elbow length sleeves or sleeveless. Fitted coat in seven-eights or regulation length buttons below shaped, built-up neckline. Concealed front pockets. Above wrist length and below elbow length sleeves."

I wonder what regulation length buttons are?

Here is the back of the envelop for those who are interested in that kind of thing. (As per usual, click on the image to make it larger, and therefore more readable.)

9 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

Glad you had a great time. Love your pattern.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a great score! Do you already have fabric chosen?

Lisette M said...

I'm in love with this pattern, can't wait to see your version!

June said...

That coat is beautiful! I love the detail on the neckline.

EarlyBird said...

I know this was posted ages ago, but I've just seen this, what a great pattern, how are you getting on with it? And I'm also puzzled - I've also got a vintage Jean Desses Vogue 1250 pattern which I'm planning to re-size and make up, but it's different - take a look at this: http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Vogue_1250 - how can this be?

Adelaide B said...

I know they recycle the pattern numbers. In this case it is a little weird because they are both Jean Desses patterns and not that far apart in time. WEIRD!

Adelaide B said...

Actually your pattern is from the 50's and mine is from the 60's. conceivably, they could have the same pattern number.

Garment District said...

I just listed the 1964 version on the pattern wiki and am going to list the pattern on Etsy. I'm wondering if the phrase on the back of the pattern " Seven-eights or regulation" should have had a comma and they were speaking of the length of the coat.

Anonymous said...

Hello, would you be interested in a pattern copy swap? I would love to make the coat & Dress VPO 1250 by Desses! I have some great vintage patterns in my collection. Thank you! Marina