Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Simplicity 3029: The Bonnie Skirt

Back in January, I started work on a skirt from a vintage pattern my friend Bonnie gave me.



For some reason I have it stuck in my head that this pattern is from 1949, but I can't remember why I think that. I dunno. I love the shorter view and thought it would be perfect for a charity function I had coming up. This pattern was 8 inches too small for me, and perfect candidate for learning to resize skirts. (I was partially successful with the Twinkle Sews A plus A-Line, but I never really got that to fit right.)

First thing I did was map out the skirt and try to figure out where to add that 8 inches.



If you click on the notebook and image (which will make it really big) you can see the little circle in the middle is really an aerial view of my skirt. (well, sort of, I don't know what else to call it.) The skirt consists of one front piece, 2 identical back pieces, and 2 side front pieces that actually extend into the back area a little. I calculated what percentage each piece was of the whole and then added that percentage of the 8 inches to each piece.

To increase each piece I cut each one down the middle and added the appropriate width. (Except for the front piece which was cut on the fold. I just added the width to the fold edge before I cut it.) (I use the backs of other patterns I no longer want for my tracing.)



My muslin fit me pretty well when I sewed it up, so I ordered a nice wool gabardine from Fashion Fabric Club (which took forever to get to me.)

I love vintage instructions. One page.



And Now The Skirt:



(I had to mess with the brightness to get anything with this black to show up. You may need to click on the image to see the details.)

Fits like a glove. When I tried it on after basting the side seams, I took it in a quarter inch on each waist side, just to make the fit perfect. This skirt rests above the waist (not quite high-waisted, but enough to get a cute belt up there.)

Here is the back:


The skirt did not call for a lining, but I added one because it seemed a real shame not to. I also used lining for the pocket bag to keep it as slim as possible. I hand picked the zipper and used storebought bias tape along the hem edge. For the belt loops, I just took some embroidery thread and made a loop on the outside. Can't even tell they are there.



Yes, I did finish the seam edges with my serger. I know I should have done something fancy, but I didn't finish this skirt until one hour before the event started. This saved me a lot of time.

I love this skirt. It's fits beautifully, and it went very well with my Sencha blouse. We have Elks Initiation on Thursday and I am going to wear it to that as well. It's not perfect, but I think I might be the only one who notices the imperfections. There is just something about wearing beautifully fitting and made clothing that makes me happy.

5 comments:

KID, MD said...

Lovely! Nice work.

Bonnie said...

SO beautiful! Wow! I love it - beautiful work Heidi!

Uta said...

Great skirt! I'd love to see a picture of the whole outfit - I imagine it goes very well with the lines of the blouse.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a great skirt! Very vintage-y but wearable. The pockets are so cool.

Lisette M said...

The skirt turned out great, with a retro flair but very much wearable now.