Monday, February 8, 2010

So Wrong

This is the dress I tried to save. It is Simplicity 2497, a Cynthia Rowley pattern. (I wrote about the failure here) The skirt of the dress looked like a paper bag that had been gathered and sewn to the waistband: not a flattering look on a woman my size. So, I just took more fabric and created a dirndl skirt. Which was kind of OK, and then I added the puffy sleeves, which are sooooo not ok. My daughter really liked this dress, but she is 19 and I am 42. I feel like Elly May Clampett when she got middle aged and still wore the same stuff. However, if anyone has a young woman in their life who is a size 16 in ready-to-wear and just loves this dress, it's hers. (I realize that I am not "working it" in this photo. I would be fired from the runway.) I could redo the sleeves, but really that is not going to happen. (I want to state that the pattern is fine. I just made a series of bad choices for my age and body type.)



Well, at least I got this cool photo out of it.

2 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

Thank you so much for your comment on my jacket. So sorry about your dress.

Tinuviel Kruse said...

Yeah, the bottom photo IS really cool. Too bad you're not happy with the dress. Maybe in a drape-ier fabric? Oh, it's so dissappointing when things don't work out. I do love that black wool skirt you made. Might have to track that pattern down....