Monday, March 8, 2010

Finally, some sewing: Gertie's slip pattern

I am on the mend and was able to do a little sewing this weekend. I wanted something simple to make, so I revisited Gertie's half-slip tutorial. ( I made 2 of these as Christmas presents for my daughter and did not post them here for reasons of secrecy. One cream, one grey, both with lavender thread and trim.) My daughter can always use a slip (or so I, as her mother, think) and this is a quick sew. (It is also good for little bits of lining that are too small to make something for me, but too big to toss. Just perfect for my size 2 daughter.)



Here is a close up of the scallop detail. (And here are Gertie's instructions for that variation.)



The only thing I do differently from the instructions is to serge the top edge before I insert the elastic. I'll wash this once and then trim any stray threads along the bottom edge. This is a totally cute and easy project. If you aren't reading Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing, you ought to. It's a lot of fun.

6 comments:

Karin said...

Cute. I like the contrasting scalloped edge. Really pretty.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

That little scalloped edge is adorable!

Faye Lewis said...

Great job. Love the scallop.

Faye Lewis said...

That is a great pattern for this knockoff. Do you already have it in your stash? I don't have one Jalie pattern - yet.

Tasia said...

Cute! I have wanted to make a slip for a while to go under a too-sheer dress. The scalloped edge is such a pretty detail, great idea!

Andrea said...

I love that slip. I'm going to have to try Gertie's tutorial.