After not sewing for 2 weeks, I went a little crazy yesterday and knocked out a new skirt. I have been wanting a kicky summer skirt that I could dress both up and down so I looked into my pattern collection and picked out this:
The fabric is a lovely tweedy linen that I got at Gorgeous Fabrics. (They still have some and it is on sale, btw. Also in black and green.) I really really like this fabric. It was nice to work with and it just has a great hand.
The finished product!
I think this skirt will look great in a variety of situations. I love that is swingy and fun.
I did not read the instructions, because it is fairly straightforward pattern. I inserted an invisible zipper and a lining. (Neither of which is called for. I forgot that the front side piece has a section cut out for the pockets when cutting the lining, but I just added a little piece there later.)
Top of the skirt details:
The skirt fits really well except for the yoke part. I did not make a muslin of this skirt, but fit as I went along. I must have misfitted the yoke, because when I was finished, It was waaaaayyy too big. (And I thought the yoke was cut funny. If I make this again, I am going to completely redraft the yoke. Don't like it at all.) Rather than taking the entire thing apart, I just hand-seamed the yoke side seams more. No one will notice and I never tuck in my shirts anyway. Except for that one thing (and maybe the fact that my lining hem looks like I was drunk when I did it) I am pretty pleased with with this skirt. (For some reason, my linings never look as nice as the garment itself. I just need to learn how to manipulate that tricky polyester crap. My serger hates it too. And yes I know I could spend more and get higher quality lining. I'm not quite there yet in my mind.)