Thursday, May 6, 2010

Skirt by Me!

Yay! I now have a skirt that was designed, drafted, and made by me!



Hands-in-pocket action shot:


Close-up of pocket:


This skirt was drafted using the methods describe in Metric Pattern Cutting by Winifred Aldrich. The fabric is an Amy Butler twill and it was a pleasure sewing with it.

Features of the skirt:
  • A- Line
  • 2" Facing at the waistline
  • 9" invisible zipper
  • Patch pockets (with top inserted into waistband and side inserted into side seam)
  • Really really good fit!



As you can tell from this view, I did not match the pattern at the seams, which is something I need to learn how to do.

I thought I would go into more depth on how I made this skirt, but I decided to wait for the next one so that I would have a better idea what I was doing. I already have a plan for the next iteration, so hopefully I will remember to take lots of pictures during the process.

9 comments:

KID, MD said...

Nice!!

Myra said...

I love the fabric!

Faye Lewis said...

If that isn't cute. So nice and summery! Great job.

daiyami said...

Nice! Just found your blog and totally sympathize---have also tried multiple times to draft the perfect fitting skirt. You give me hope.

Angela said...

Congrats!! It looks great!

Tasia said...

Looks great, excellent job! Cotton twill is so nice to work with.

Uta said...

That looks very good! Great fit, pretty spring fabric - enjoy! (I'd love to hear about your drafting process next time.)

Faye Lewis said...

JALIE: I've got the top done - that was the scary part, but turn out not to be hard at all. The rest is all down hill and the top should be ready to wear in just a little while...all thanks to you.

Tany said...

That's beautiful, well done!