This is a very simple bodice, sleeve, and skirt. For my first foray out, I wanted to make something achievable, so that I wouldn't get too frustrated. (Believe me, I got plenty frustrated without trying to get all fancy.) I am going for a sort of 50's vintage feel. We'll see.
I used Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear by my homegirl Winifred Aldrich. (I went out and added the newest edition to the second edition I already had.) For the most part, the instructions were very clear and I didn't have many issues with the actual drafting. It was fitting that killed me. Finally, after many trial and errors, I figured out 4 very important things.
1) The close fitting bodice had too much ease for me and I felt it made things fit funny. Took out some of that ease.
2) I have sloping shoulders. I took at 1/2 centimeters from the shoulder at the arm end.
3) Armscye needed to be lowered just a little. (.5 cm from when I lowered the shoulder and another .5 just for fit.)
4) It's important to play around with those bust darts until they look good.
It is by no means perfect. I think there is a little weirdness going on in the back of the sleeve, there might be a little gaping at the neckline, and there is a weird drag line in the front of the bodice by the armscye. ( I'm not sure if it is supposed to be there or not. I've been checking out other shirts and dresses, and a lot of people have it. Not sure if it is poor fitting or not.)
However, I do not care about anymore imperfections. I spent so long on this bodice, I need a dang dress now! (Looking back on it, the changes are not so revolutionary, but I kept going off on wild fitting issue tangets. I kept having to start all over again because I would end up making changes that I didn't really need.)
View from the back:
I have my fabric for the dress all cut out to sew up. I AM SO EXCITED!