Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Thanks and a Request

Hello nice readers. Thank you so much for your comments about my first self-drafted dress. It feels really good to have that under my belt; now I feel that with enough hard work, I can do it again! (I'm gonna work on some simpler things this week. My brain needs a rest.)

On a completely different note, I am coming to you with a different type of blog entry today; a request. One of the organizations I volunteer with is the Western Washington Girl Scouts. I'm not a troop leader or anything, but am helping procure items for their auction on Sept. 11 at the Annual Girlfriends Weekend. (The weekend sounds like a pretty cool event. I am excited to go. For more info check here: http://www.girlscoutsww.org/node/4912.)

Two of the items I am putting together for the auction are a sewing basket and a knitting basket. I am adding things to the baskets and thought I would open it up to you guys to see if you had anything that you want to donate. Colette Patterns graciously donated a Sencha Pattern and Denise Interchangeable Needles kindly gave us a set of knitting needles.


What I am Looking for:

Sewing basket
  • Fabric. Anything cool will do. (The Sencha blouse takes 2 yards if you have something suitable for that.)
  • Really good reference book. (I am thinking The Sewing Bible, The Complete Guide to Sewing by our friends at Readers Digest, or Vogue Sewing.)
  • Scissors
  • Pins
  • Markers or chalk
  • Hand-sewing needles
  • Tape measure
(I am donating some Burda magazines and some vintage patterns, so we have plenty of patterns.)

(Striked out (Struck out?) items have already been donated.)

Knitting Basket
  • Sock size double-pointed needles
  • Really good learn - to -knit book
  • Yarn needles
  • Row counter
  • Stitch markers
Here's how this works:
  • The items need to be new (or used so little that they could pass for new.) Fabric should be unwashed, and things should be in their original packaging (although we can work around that.)
  • The only exception to this is things that are so old they qualify as vintage.
  • If you would like to donate an item, please leave a comment stating what item you would like to give with your email cleverly disguised against the spambot trolly things.
  • I will send you my address.
  • Items should be mailed by July 31st.
  • I have some old Burda Magazines and vintage patterns that I have no need for, so if even one person donates to the Girl Scouts Auction, I will start giving those patterns away on my blog.
The proceeds of this auction will send girls, who might not otherwise afford it to camp. (As well as helping to provide other leadership opportunities.) They turn no girl away, and I think that is pretty cool. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

For the knitting basket I can give you the row counter and stitch markers. I can even give you a measuring tape for the sewing basket.

I have to check to see what else I have or can get my hands on. Do you need any yarn?