Thursday, September 16, 2010

Comedy of Terrors

(With Apologies to Vincent Price)

I am about to show you some of the most unflattering pictures on the interwebs. Prepare yourself. (I debated on if I should show them at all. This garment did not work for me in any way. But, sometimes we fail in sewing, and sometimes we fail big. This is one of those stories.)



Ugh. This is my muslin for Jalie 2921. Everything about it is wrong. (Not everything, but we will talk about this later.) It didn't start out as a muslin, but it became one when I realized it was evil.

FABRIC: This is a lovely rayon Jersey from Gorgeous Fabrics. I HATE IT!
  • I swear the site said it was army green. Although the picture is true to color, I bought it anyway. Not army green. I don't think the color looks bad on me, but I don't really care for it.
  • This stuff snags. I had two really bad snags on it before I cut into it.
  • Too clingy. See all those lovely bulges? Mostly, that's my pants. Really? I don't need additional help making me look lumpy.
  • Yucky to sew. (Kind of.) I am not a big fan of sewing/wearing knits. Mostly not that enjoyable to sew and not always flattering. But they are convenient to wear, so I keep trying. I hated this fabric to sew with. It was fine with my serger (I miraculously got the tension just perfect) but anything I had to do on my other machine looked like drunk driving (and not just had one drink either. Hawaiian booze cruise time here.) I can work on that, but it is a pain.
  • I ordered another length of rayon jersey from another vendor before I realized how much I would hate it. Awesome.
Pattern: Actually, the pattern is not too bad.
  • Drafted pretty well.
  • I am unsure where I stand on the 1/4 seam width. If I attempt this again, I will widen the seam allowance on the shoulders, so I can add some twill tape to stabilize them.
  • Arms are a little too tight, but that is easy to take care of.
  • Shirt is too long, also easy to take care of.
I am not sure if I am going to try this again immediately. I may need some separation time. I also got FOOD POISONING last week and was knocked out for 24 hours. (Shudder. It was horrid.)

However, I am recovered. I went camping last weekend, I've started on my Macaron muslin, and I get to see Willie Nelson today. Yay! I am also taking a handsewing class with Susan Khalje this Saturday. We'll see how it goes!

5 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

Sorry at about the fabric and your top. Enjoy your sewing class.

Rose said...

I just finished sewing this top this week. It's a fun top to sew up--rolling everything up and when attaching the scarf top.

I've seen some fun versions with the main pattern pieces (bodice and sleeves) in a jersey print and the scarf in a coordinating solid color. Maybe you can do something similar with the jerseys you have purchased? I get so annoyed when the fabric isn't what I expect or when it performs differently.

Rose in SV

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Rayon jersey is always a temptation and a disappointment. My wear-like-iron 6 year old H&M tees are rayon jersey, but that is *not* the rayon jersey I find for sale to the home sewing community.

Our Heroine said...

You are a braver woman than I to post those pics. What a shame it turned out so badly.

The sewing class sounds amazing, glad you had a good time!

Angela said...

I know what you mean about rayon jersey... you really do have to be careful in what you sew and what you wear under it. Sorry that it didn't work for you!