Monday, September 20, 2010

Susan Khalje Class

So, last Saturday I took a class with Susan Khalje sponsored by the Seattle Chapter of the American Sewing Guild. For the first three hours she showed us various garments (many of the featured in Threads magazine) and discussed their construction. She talked a lot about underlining and all the great things it can do. I am a convert. (For nicer garments. Not sure I want to be super fancy in everything I make.)

The second three hours were spent making samples of various hand-stitches. You can tell from the below pictures that I still need some work in some areas. All in all, I had a great time and met a really nice woman named Shelley. (Hi Shelley!)

First we learned how to use a fell stitch to attach lace to silk. (You can click on any picture to make it bigger.)

Here is a close-up were I added some beads. Not much of a bead person myself, or lace for that matter.

We learned how to cover a snap and a nice way to sew it on. I need practice.

This one was easy.

Need more practice.

We also did a faggoting stitch which I forgot to take a picture of. Pretty cool.

4 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

How exciting! I think your samples are really nice.

Uta said...

It seems you learned a lot there. I'm a bit envious of the high-end sewing instruction you get in the US - then again, I'm not sure how often I'd be sewing "fancy". But it would be nice to know how!

Angela said...

How fun!! I'm so jealous... I really need to learn some of those techniques!!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Sounds like a great class! My hand sewing could definitely use some improvement.