Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Self-Drafted Skirt #2 (Inverted Front Pleat)

It's fall, so I need heavier skirts to wear with my sweaters. (My fall uniform is an A-line skirt, tights, and a sweater over my shirt.) I've decided to move back to pattern drafting (after not sewing for so long, I wanted to ease back into it.)

You may remember my first skirt pattern back in May:

I drafted my sloper using Metric Pattern Cutting for Women by Winifred Aldrich and then followed her instructions to create an A-line skirt. Love Love Love this book. I wear this skirt all the time, but wanted a little less flare, so I revised it and decided I wanted to put an inverted pleat in the front. (The skirt is navy, which is difficult to photograph under the best of circumstances, so I messed around a lot with the saturation and such.)


A more natural light picture:

This was a very simple skirt to put together. It has an invisible zipper in the center back and an inverted pleat in the front. The waist is finished with a facing. (I don't hate the facing, but I don't love. it.) The fabric is a navy stretch twill from Fabric.com. I messed up on the hem, so I added red bias tape when I redid it. A little shot of color on the inside.


There is a little topstitching above the pleat. I should have put the tip of my point right at the end of the sewn part of the pleat. It's barely noticeable, but it looks a little weird to me. (You can click on the picture to see the detail.)

Adding the inverted pleat was easy, and I am working on a tutorial for you. Next up, another self-drafted skirt based on one of my vintage patterns.

6 comments:

Uta said...

A very nice skirt. Navy is up next; I'm wearing my gray one (with inverted pleats!) to death. Yay for basic skirts!

Faye Lewis said...

Self drafted skirt? You are so smart! I can't remember anything that I've self drafted. That is a very nice skirt.

KID, MD said...

Cute! I love an inverted pleat. So classy!

Angela said...

Cute skirt! I love inverted pleat skirts... you did a fantastic job! I think the hem looks like it was done on purpose.. I like it!

Anonymous said...

nice

Anonymous said...

noce