So, I finally found a T-shirt pattern that I think might work for me. It's an out of print Built by You (Wendy) from Simplicity. I bought all of these when they came out and have had varying levels of success. I made a super cute dress from this pattern when I was in business school and it still serves as my "I need a black dress right now" go-to dress.
I made some shirts from this as well, but they seldom got worn because they were too big. (The dress was made from a double knit with little stretch, so the bigger size kind of works in its favor.)
Here is my muslin. I need to move the gathers toward center front a bit so they are above the ladies and not so much to the side. This is some awful rayon blend fabric that I got super cheap to make muslins with. I ended up loving the color and the fit wasn't so bad, so I added a little embroidery to the yoke. (The pattern is from Sublime Stitching and I just added some lightweight tear-away stabilizer to the back so the fabric would not stretch.)