Thursday, December 2, 2010

Cocktail Dress

I need a cocktail dress. I usually make a new one every year for my yearly benefit auction, but I need an extra (and fancier) one this year. I am going to an evening wedding in Korea this January and want to look great. (I don't need much of an excuse to go to Seoul, but I am totally excited about seeing a lot of my grad school friends from Korea, Japan, and Taiwan.)

Korea is a fairly conservative culture and I am pretty heavily tatooed in the shoulder/back/upper arm area, so my dress needs to hide as much of that as possible. (Hey, I am proud to let my freak flag fly, but I can respect other people's special moments. Not to mention I don't want to piss off the ajumas.)

I've decided to design my own dress (working on a new sloper in pattern making class.) I'm using the early 60's as inspiration. Jewel necklines, full skirts, and sleeves are all things that I can work with, and even if the Mad Men furor hasn't hit there, I don't think I will stand out as too costumey. (And I'll pick a back-up pattern just in case. Be prepared!)

Here are some inspirational patterns that I have filed into my notes. I'm thinking a brocade might suit this type of style (and dress them up a bit) but we'll see. I'm still in my thinking phase.

I love the skirt on this one.

The neckline on this is pretty cute.

Hm, princess seams. (This neckline might be more flattering than a jewel on me.)

I dunno, I just like this one.

Another neckline that might do me well.


7 comments:

Debi said...

oh wow! How exciting! Korea would be a great place to visit AND you get to wear a cocktail dress! YAY! Can't wait to see your design as I love all these patterns....

slip covers manufacturer said...

yeah
all is good
especially the first dress

Uta said...

I love the first of the vintage patterns, very Audrey-Hepburn-esque. I envy you your formal occasion! Isn't it great to have something to look forward to, eh, sew for? Me, I'm looking forward to seeing your self-drafted pattern!

RiAnge Creations. Ltd. said...

I love the first and the third patterns. Can't wait to see which on you decide upon.
Angela

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Oh how fun! I wish I had any need for cocktail gowns.

Faye Lewis said...

I like number 1 and number 4 with the jacket. Have fun in Korea!

Angela said...

How fun would that be! Hehe.. I haven't been since 1999. The ajumas won't be pissed off, but they sure like to talk and won't hide it. :) I can't wait to see the progress of your dress. Those are some great inspirational pictures and backup patterns.