Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sewing Through the Decades: I hate the 80s (and 90s too)

Debi at My Happy Sewing Place and Sarah from Rhinestones and Telephones are co-hosting Sewing Through the Decades. (Click on picture to go check out the challenge.)


I like this because there are no deadlines or even strict rules about what you should be making. I need dresses, so I am going to sew a dress from each decade 1920 - 2010. I want to work more on drafting my own patterns, so I can just do one of these projects whenever I feel like it. (I also may be using my sloper to recreate designs rather than trying to grade up on patterns that are much smaller than I need.)

I am taking a sewing break right now (jetlagged from Korea and taking another trip next week) so I thought I could benefit from some time thinking about possible projects. This included looking at all the pictures of patterns from the 80's and 90's on Etsy.

This is what I looked like in 1988: (The band behind me is Out. They recently got back together if you live in the Seattle/Bremerton are and are interested in late 80's Kitsap punk music.)

I got to skip most of the mainstream 80's and 90's for a combination of vintage/punk rock/homemade fashions. Looking at these patterns, I was shocked, I say. Shocked! I know retro 80's are kind of in, but ugh. Not for me. However I found a great dress from merchant sydcam123.

As for the 90's, BORING. If you can think of a fashion trend from the 90s that doesn't suck, please let me know. However, I found this little number from seller sewdamselsew. (Although I am not sure how the lowered waist will look on me.)

Both of these patterns have been purchased and will be making their way to me soon. (Yay!)

4 comments:

Debi said...

AWESOME! I love your plans!! Both the 80's and 90's dresses are very nice (good job on wading through the um, not so nice dresses of those decades!!

Myra said...

I was 18 in 1986, married in 1991 - I lived this era. I always loved the punk-ish look, never got away with it - strict parents. Anyways, in the 1990s, I loved the looser dresses with a little collar and dirndl or slightly gathered skirt. I called them granny/hippie dresses. I had one I wore with granny laceup heeled boots, too, long Julia Roberts styled hair, pulled back loosely, fun. Say what you want, there was some cool things from those decades. I always loved the Pretty in Pink wardrobe. Go for that, if you want.

Marzipan said...

It's weird, I have affection for the 80s because it's when I was little but I can't say I'd wear anything today that was popular then. Also, for the 90's I was in high school and pretty much the fashion trends passed me by except grunge, but I don't think I'll be wearing flannel anytime soon. The granny dresses are OK, but most of the trends are just horrific. That first pattern you picked is lovely though the second one makes me feel like it'd be a little shapeless? Maybe with a belt?
xoxo

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a great plan! ADORE that vintage wrap dress. So cute. Although I enjoy some current interpretations of 80s fashions (such as the crazy Dynasty green silk blouse I made recently), it would definitely be slim pickings to find a vintage pattern that can be reinterpreted. My mom sent me a box of her old patterns, which I was disappointed to find were mostly 80s (was hoping for 70s!). I'll see if there's anything in there. The 90s were so bland that I think you can make a wearable, if unexciting, dress from many patterns of that era.