Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sewing Through the Decades: 20s and 30s

Ok, so I have chosen to follow a slightly different path for my Sewing Through the Decades dresses for the 20s and 30s. I have two books that show you how to draft patterns from those eras, so I am going to give that a try.

From the 20s, I have a pamphlet from Mary Brooks Picken on how to make a dress in an hour. (Amazon has three other books from her on a similar theme, but I got this from PDF Classic Books for $2.95. It appears to be a different publication.)
My favorite quote from this book:

"You may receive a phone call at one o'clock inviting you to a little impromptu gathering of friends at three, and you can go, if you wish, wearing a dainty new frock make in the time you would ordinarily spend wondering what to wear."

Unlikely, but it looks fun. There are no darts in these dresses, and I suspect that any creations I make from this book are going to look like a big sack on me. I may add darts, I may not. If it looks like I could actually make a wearable dress from this, I might put some extra effort in to make something I might actually want to keep.

From the 30s I have Dress Cutting: Instructions for Sewing 26 Vintage 19302 Fashions.




None of these dresses on the cover are actually in the book, which is kind of annoying. There are however some cute things that I'd like to try to make. This is another book without any darts, which makes me hesitate a little bit. I need a dart. Usually more than one. But, we'll see. I can make this work, if it looks like I could get something cool out of it. I'm not as interested in dresses from this era (I love to look at them, but I am not sure how suitable they are for my figure) and I'm willing to take the risk that my efforts will be in vain.

2 comments:

Debi said...

Ohhh..these are great! I have that same 1930's book! It is a bit sad that none of the dresses on the cover are in the book...but there are some cute (and useful) block patterns! I can't wait to see what you make!!!

Anonymous said...

That's like the sales tactic of bait and switch isn't it, I'd be annoyed too, what is point of showing dresses that aren't in the book?!? I hope it is better than the 20s venture, sorry still laughing, have tears in my eyes. I think prolly hit me wrong with the chocolate chip cookie I just had, I'm not sposed have any caffeine. I was just hoping to find some pepole post pics of them in their vintage clothes so I can get idea before I start sewing them myself. I want see how other people look in them. oh well