Tuesday, March 29, 2011

2nd Spring Dress (self-drafted)

Here is my latest self-drafted dress. (I had to take a little time off from it, because some of the fitting issues were getting to me. When I came back to it, everything was magically fixed.) (The bodice is pulling a little in this photo, but I was in motion.)


Here is a detail of the neckline and sleeves. The neck has a little row of French knots around it to add some interest. I'm guessing the sleeves are called kimono cap sleeves. (Not sure what the proper name is. They are drafted as part of the bodice.)

Back of the dress. (I think I'm gonna make a belt for this dress. It can use one.)


Details:
  • 4 gore skirt.
  • invisible zipper down center back
  • cap sleeves
  • navy stretch poplin (long sold out from fabric.com)
It took me awhile to get the fit right on this, but that was mostly trying to figure out how to get enough arm motion from the kimono sleeves. There was also some extra fabric in the back shoulder that I wanted to get rid of. (The kimono sleeves [if that is what they are called] can cause some bunching back there.) I built this off my sloper, so most of the fit was already there. However, any time you change one thing, you run the risk of changing something else, including fit.

I'm pretty happy with this dress. I could have fiddled around with it forever, but at a certain point, you just need to make the dress. It's not fancy, but I'm learning something new with each self-drafted dress. Also, my last 3 dresses have been blue. And the skirt of my next one is navy. I'm thinking I need something a little brighter coming up.

6 comments:

KID, MD said...

Love it! The style is lovely and the fit looks great.

Uta said...

Beautiful! I love the shape, and the neckline detail is perfect for a basic navy dress.

Angela said...

Ooo.. very nice and classy! Love the French knots and the sleeve style!

Faye Lewis said...

You go girl!!! Now you need to come to Georgia to teach me!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a great neckline detail and I am a fan of the kimono sleeves--houlder coverage for sun protection but plenty of breathing room for the underarm.

McVal said...

That is a beautiful dress! I need to start thinking Easter dress for me...