My first self-designed blouse:
I took the bodice from this dress and turned it into the above blouse. (No, they are not made from the same fabric. The top is more royal blue than navy. It is a great stretch cotton that I got a gorgeous fabrics a long while ago.)
- Traced my dress bodice and removed the waist darts.
- Added length and hip width using my blouse sloper.
- Added four inches to the center front neckline for the fold and tapered it down to nothing at the waist. To do this I needed to create a center front seam which was not in the dress. (This method for creating width for the fold without increasing the width at the bottom mostly worked but there is a little pooch at the mid section which I am not happy with, but not hating enough to do anything about.)
- Extended the bust darts by 3/4 of an inch. (The extra fabric from the front fold makes the side seams looser there, so I needed to make up for that by making the darts longer.)
- I top stitched the facings down, which I did not have to do on the dress. The neckline is a little wrinkly on the blouse. I'm not sure what is causing that, but it certainly does not make it unwearable.
My blouse is not perfect, but it fits well, and I think it's pretty good for a first try. I'm wearing it right now. (There is only a poor facsimile of sun right now in Seattle, so the shirt looks darker than it is. I hope we get spring this year. ) I think maybe I need to make something that is not blue.