Monday, April 11, 2011

Simplicity 2245: Ceramics Smock

I finally got Simplicity pattern 2245 in my size. I was unsure if I could rock the tunic style, and I did not want to make a muslin, so I made a prototype instead. (Known as a wearable muslin to some of you.) Due to the business of the fabric pattern, you cannot see any of the details on this pattern.


A little medical scrub looking, you say? I concur! I got this fabric from fabric.com and was not loving it. It is supposed to be a cotton lawn, but it is a little on the heavy side, and it turns out I hate the print. (And was too lazy to return it.)

Here is the line drawings of the pattern, so you can see some of the nice details that are actually there. (There is also a Lisette flickr group if you want to check out some of the nicer versions that people have made of this tunic/shirt/dress)

This is the first tunic I have made, and I am not as against the style as I used to be. But, maybe not this pattern for me. Although, I think I am eventually going to make the dress in a lighter weight fabric.

If you are not sensing the sound of disappointment, it is because I am not upset about what could have been a slightly underwhelming project. This top is perfect for me to wear in the ceramics studio! I am constantly getting clay all over myself, and this would be perfect to stick in my locker to put on before I get to work. It is also pretty high cut, so on the odd occasion that I work on the wheel, I'm not gonna flash everyone.

This is one of those garments that is useful rather than fashionable. I might even make another smock for painting, although I am not as messy at that. Any useful items that you need to make?

6 comments:

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I am always too lazy to return fabric as well. As for useful sewing...so much bike sewing to do. So much!

Faye Lewis said...

That is wonderful! We'll start on April 16th.

hema octover said...

hi, nice greeting from malaysia...

Garnet said...

This looks so cute! I've made this pattern once already, and have plans to do it a second time. I'm glad to see others make it as well!

Monte Peterson said...

Any chance you're interested in selling this pattern? It's out of print and I can't find a copy anywhere. Let me know!

Patty said...

I have been searching for this pattern (S2245) for years! If you ever want to share it, please keep me in mind! pdelnegro@gmail.com