Wednesday, April 20, 2011

You Gotta Know When to Fold 'Em

Last week, I was working on another self-drafted shirt. I got three muslins into it and realized that I had all the details right, and that the shirt would never look good on me. It was hard, but I just put it down, and went to work on something else. All that work for nothing.

Well, not really. I learn something on almost every project I work on, and this blouse was no exception. (My main lesson this go around, other than the fact that style does not look good on me, was how to discretely get rid of a back shoulder dart.)

Another thing I did last week was to go through my closet and weed out some items that I never wore. These also happened to be items that I made, and were well-made to boot. I loved looking at these things on the hanger, but not so much on me. It was hard to give them up, but it was even harder to see them taking up space in my closet and know that I wasn't going to wear them.

This is my Macaron dress by Colette Patterns. Fits wonderfully and looks great on the inside. Does not look good on me. The length was wrong (which I could have fixed) and the the fabric was too stiff (which I could not fix.)


Simplicity 2209. Makes me look stumpy. Nothing helped.


Colette Patterns Sencha blouse. This version needs to be tucked in. I don't tuck stuff in. Only worn twice.


A McCalls pattern I can't remember the number of. Fits okay, plaids kind of match, looks great inside, and the ruffle feels huge when I am wearing it. I get so distracted by it, I can't concentrate on anything.



Ah well, lessons were learned. Annoying though.

2 comments:

Uta said...

That's too bad, but understandable. I have those garments, too. Sometimes I read that someone sews "to get the exact garment they want". I wonder whether they know of every pattern and fabric what will suit them?! It always takes some trial and error, IMO.

Sheila said...

I have also made pieces that were worn once only to realize that they didn't look that great on me. Some I give away and if its a summer dress it becomes a house dress.