Wednesday, May 25, 2011

43rd Birthday Dress!!!!!!

Ta da! The birthday dress is finished. I think I need a white belt, but I have to go out and buy one.



With shoes and crazy hair!


To refresh your memory, here is the inspiration photo:


I think you can see how the two dresses are related.

Instead of telling you what went wrong, I'm gonna tell you what went right! (I had a lot of issues with the sewing because I was sick during a great deal of the work. I need to focus on the positives.)

  • Fits really well! (Because I used my sloper to draft it.)
  • I love this corally pink. Very obnoxious.
  • I used packaged bias tape for the armholes and it felt nice not to have to make it!
  • My changes made it look even more 60s than the original. But not costumey. I hope.
  • My first time with piping. And while it was not a perfect experience by any means, nobody is going to notice where I was less than perfect because the pink will distract them by burning out their retinas.
  • I super-structured the button stand thingy with 2 layers of fabric and one layer of interfacing before I sewed it onto the bodice. No sagging from the heavy buttons!
  • My neck facings extend to the armhole, so there is no rolling up.
  • Mostly, my bodice and skirt seams and darts match up.
  • I was going to bind the edges of the button stand with bias tape, but that did not work for me. So I used piping. And I learned I need some kind of foot for my machine if I am going to use it again. But, the piping does look kind of cool.
  • A-line skirt is much more flattering on me than a short straight one.
Ok. I'm pretty happy with this. Next up: a dress sew-a-long with Faye, a 70's shirt, and another dress for a friend's wedding.

Parting shot:

12 comments:

gMarie said...

What a great dress! The pink doesn't look eye burning bright, it looks like it's trying to entice the watery sun out. Hope it was finished in time to wear for yesterdays beautiful day. :) g

Sewfast said...

Gorgeous! Perfect for a birthday dress! Good job!

Sheila said...

Happy Birthday and such a lovely dress... great color and agree with gMarie is doesn't look eye burning.

KID, MD said...

Looks great! You nailed the inspiration look, and i love the color. Fabulous work!

Lisette M said...

Super cute! I like the 60s vibe.

Faye Lewis said...

The birthday dress is gorgeous. Love those buttons.

RiAnge Creations. Ltd. said...

Very nice. Looks so delish and refreshing.
Angela

Uta said...

Very cute!! I've been wearing this color a lot recently, and it always makes me happy. I hope it does the same to you!

DaneMum said...

I saw it on Burda - it's absolutly the cutest dress ever - it really compliments you!

Andrea said...

You did a beautiful job on this dress. I love it. The color is so vibrant!!!

gingermakes said...

Love it!! Sooooo cute!!

Emily said...

Beautiful dress! The fit is perfect!!!