Tuesday, May 10, 2011

McCall's 6078: WINNER

If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you will know that I don't have much success sewing with knits. My projects usually fail for two reasons 1) I can just never get the hang of the proper needle/stitch combination (even with my serger) and 2) most knit shirts just don't look that good on me. I am a size 16, so I have some lumps that knits like to show off. However, I am also an hour glass, so anything that is large enough to cover the lumpy areas is going to make me look larger than I am because it will hide the fact that I have a very distinct waist.

I have, however, found a pattern that I kind of like. McCall's 6078.



This is a very easy pattern. Because it is sleeveless, I was able to fit as I sewed. (And I kept good notes so I could make changes directly to the pattern.) There are quite a few reviews of this shirt on PatternReview, and now I understand why. The cowl drape is really nice and not very overwhelming on my larger bust. (Most cowls I have tried are not very flattering on me.)

The stitching leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm still gonna wear it. (You'd be surprised what other people don't notice.) That is something I need to work on for the next iteration. The instructions call for just folding over the hem and topstitiching, and that is what I did, except for the bottom hem. I just chopped off two inches and called it a day. I used a thin ITY knit from Fashion Fabric Club, and since it doesn't unravel, I didn't feel the need to hem the shirt body. I may trim off the seam allowances from the arm and neck hole on the pattern and leave them unfinished on the next version as well.

In spite of it's imperfections, I am pretty happy with this shirt. In fact, I'm wearing it right now. I'm going to make at least one more. Yay!

5 comments:

Sheila said...

The top looks great on you and have become a fan of that pattern.

Myra said...

Nice top - a hint I learned from Summerset of Pins and Needles, use knit interfacing cut in 5/8" strips and fuse to the bottom/hem allowance, then turn that up and stitch in place. Works nice to reduce waviness. I don't even use a twin needle, just stitch down once, usually.

Adelaide B said...

Thanks Myra, I'll give that a try!

Debi said...

This looks fabulous! I love it!!! I have yet to venture into the world of knits...luckily my 30's and 40's patterns don't have them as a fabric recommendation...ehehhehe...but I do adore how they drape!

Faye Lewis said...

Of course I do have that pattern. Don't know why I didn't think about it. I like your cowl top better than the one I just made.