Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Too Sassy for You: Modified Sorbetto

Inspired by this project on Burdastyle, I decided that I too needed a top that tied at the shoulders. I just modified the Colette Patterns Sorbetto top and had my blouse a couple of hours later.



Here is my modified pattern piece.


Modifications that I made:

  • Took out center box pleat from Sorbetto top. (I just traced the pattern and left off the pleat extension from the front bodice piece.)
  • Extended the front and back shoulder by 11 inches and tapered it at the end by using my ship's curve.
  • Drew a facing piecing for the front and back to cover the armholes, neckline, and ties.
  • I lengthened it a little, but not sure I am going to keep that change.
  • I did not interface the facing.
  • I may sew these knots together and put a little lingerie-strap under the knot. Not sure yet.
The fabric is a stretch cotton sateen that I thought would be heavier when I bought it online. The stripe is a dark olive green. I knew I was gonna like this shirt when my husband said to me "I can tell this is gonna be cute because it looks good even in muslin." (My favorite quote from him is when he looked at me in a self-designed dress and said "The fit on that is amazing!" I love it when he just gets it.)

4 comments:

Sheila said...

Your modified sorbetto came out nice and really like the ties. I have yet to revisit sorbetto after my first wadder.

Uta said...

A perfect little summer top!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Love those shoulder ties! I am dreaming up a dress with a tie feature right now...

Sew Blessed Maw said...

What a great idea for the sorbetto.I love this top..It is amazing what has been done with it..
have really enjoyed your blog.. Has me back in the sewing mood again.. Kinda hit a nosew mood for the last few weeks..Thanks for sharing your wonderful garments. Judy