Monday, August 8, 2011

Challenges

I have decided this year not to watch Project Runway anymore. Up until last season, I really really enjoyed the show. But the influence of the producers manipulating the show is just right there on the surface now. I understand how reality tv works. I know that it's not really real, but I like the illusion that it might be: that the best person might win. I watched a few minutes of the first challenge episode this year, and realized I just don't care anymore. So I decided to give myself a little challenge.

As you may have noticed, I've not been sewing much lately. Summer is pretty busy for me, and I have some new stuff going on. And I have kind of lost my sewing motivation. Since I love sewing, and it is my only source of new clothing, I needed to come up with something to get the juices flowing. So, I decided to have my own project runway-like challenge. I ordered a mystery fabric bundle from Fabric Mart and decided that I had to find a use for all the of the fabrics inside, love them or hate them. I don't have any deadlines, and I have a skirt that I would like to make first, but I think I'm gonna have fun with this.

Fabric #1: I think this is a stretch cotton twill (dressweight.) This is gonna be a cute fall dress I think.


I dunno what this is, but to me, this is ugggggly. I will make a skirt. We'll see if I ever wear it, but it can work as a prototype for something I might like more.


This is an unassuming brown stretch cotton poplin. I have great dress plans for this guy


This is a brocade of whose contents I am unsure. I have two yards and I'm not sure what I am going to do with it. This is going to be the hardest one to figure out.



So those are my fabrics for the challenge. I'm excited about this one! So excited, I'm gonna show you some new liberty lawns I got awhile ago. Aren't they cute?

6 comments:

Sheila said...

Awesome challenge and a great bundle of fabrics. Making me want to venture over to FM for one of their mystery fabric bundles.

Anonymous said...

Love the fabric, especially the Liberty. I recognize Mabelle, Mauverina, and the third is really familiar, but I can't recall the name.

Andrea said...

What you are doing is an awesome idea. I love it and can't wait to see what you come up with. I also like the bundle that you got from Fabric Mart.

Faye Lewis said...

Can't wait to see that great collection in progress. Please show different steps in the process.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a great concept! I can almost see the weird embroidered/appliqued fabric as an underlay, with maybe a CF opening in the overskirt, or with the fabric peeking out an inch or two below a hem.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe this - my two girlfriends and I decided to do exactly the same thing. We order three mystery boxes, and we are going to open them together. We haven't decided on the final rules though (regarding trading, using the smaller pieces, etc.) but we are all very excited about the prospect of opening our boxes.