Friday, September 30, 2011


Ralph Rucci makes some of the most beautiful clothing in the world, but you might never know that from the garments for which Vogue makes patterns available.  Example Vogue 1269.  Sigh.  I guess it is his fault for making the ugly thing in the first place.  And this jacket should never be worn with this dress.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Simplicity 1969 (SewSimple)

I, like a lot of folks, have recently noticed Simplicity's new SewSimple line of patterns. Since they are only $2, I thought I would give one a try and settled on this blouse.

Here is my version:

Here is the line drawing.

I like to have an easy project after I make a dress based on my own pattern. It's just nice sometimes to do something uncomplicated. This certainly was easy. It had 4 pattern pieces and the instructions seemed very clear, although I have been sewing for a long time, so I'm not sure how a newbie would judge them. The pattern line seems geared towards beginning sewists, and I think a beginner could very easily tackle this pattern and come away with a wearable top. I used what was advertised as a cotton lawn, although the weave is much looser than my other lawns. I think this pattern works best with a fabric that contains a little drape, so a stiff cotton might not looks so good.

To be honest, this top is not the height of fashion, and there are some changes I would make before I made it again.
  • I would add some length. I have a 3/8" hem on it and it is just barely at wearable-with-jeans length.
  • The armholes are a big and show my bra strap in the armpit area. I need to wear a cami with this version because of the fabric, so it is not that big of a deal.
  • It pools a little in the back. I might just add a little more width back there or take out some length. Not sure.
  • It's pretty shapeless. It looks a lot like a scrub top in this picture, but that might be my fabric. Although I think it is cuter in real life. I could be deluding myself.
Not the most earth-shattering top, but this would work great for a super beginner who wants a successful project. I'll wear my version, although I think it might work better with a skirt.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Mystery Box Challenge #1: The Dress!!!!

Yes. I finally made something! As usual, I am not 100% happy, but that is my problem, not the dress's. I know for a fact that once I wear the dress a couple of times I will forget about its "problems" and enjoy the hell out of it. (Click on the images if you want to seem them in more detail. Cause I know they are that fascinating.)

Here is the head on picture (without the head):

Slightly tilted to the side (Big difference, I know.):

This dress is made from what I think is a brown stretch cotton poplin from my Fabric Mart mystery box and a light blue cotton poplin from (Left over from my first Sorbetto top.) I drafted the bodice from my bodice sloper, and the skirt is just a simple drindl. The neck is finished with made-by-me bias tape on the outside and the armholes are finished on the inside with bias tape, but bought at the store. (The armholes were originally finished the same as the neck, but it looked too much like a basketball jersey.)

There is some bust detailing that is hard to see in these photos, so I lighted one to show them:

This is what the front bodice pattern piece looks like:

If I had it to do over again, I would have made the bodice two pieces (splitting them in the obvious place) and adding a little less fullness. I feel like this makes me look bigger up top than I am or want to look.

All in all, though, I am very happy with this dress. It's a baby-step towards color blocking, and I think it works. Also, I've had issues in the past getting just the right amount of gathering for a drindl skirt, and I feel like I got it just right this time. This is a perfect dress for the summer/fall transition. Yes!

Rear view: