Friday, September 23, 2011

Simplicity 1969 (SewSimple)

I, like a lot of folks, have recently noticed Simplicity's new SewSimple line of patterns. Since they are only $2, I thought I would give one a try and settled on this blouse.


Here is my version:



Here is the line drawing.


I like to have an easy project after I make a dress based on my own pattern. It's just nice sometimes to do something uncomplicated. This certainly was easy. It had 4 pattern pieces and the instructions seemed very clear, although I have been sewing for a long time, so I'm not sure how a newbie would judge them. The pattern line seems geared towards beginning sewists, and I think a beginner could very easily tackle this pattern and come away with a wearable top. I used what was advertised as a cotton lawn, although the weave is much looser than my other lawns. I think this pattern works best with a fabric that contains a little drape, so a stiff cotton might not looks so good.

To be honest, this top is not the height of fashion, and there are some changes I would make before I made it again.
  • I would add some length. I have a 3/8" hem on it and it is just barely at wearable-with-jeans length.
  • The armholes are a big and show my bra strap in the armpit area. I need to wear a cami with this version because of the fabric, so it is not that big of a deal.
  • It pools a little in the back. I might just add a little more width back there or take out some length. Not sure.
  • It's pretty shapeless. It looks a lot like a scrub top in this picture, but that might be my fabric. Although I think it is cuter in real life. I could be deluding myself.
Not the most earth-shattering top, but this would work great for a super beginner who wants a successful project. I'll wear my version, although I think it might work better with a skirt.

5 comments:

Sheila said...

Cute top and also picked up a few sew simple patterns. Walmart has them for $.97.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

It does seem like a pattern with possibility. Thank you for the review!

KID, MD said...

I saw this one, too. I think it is the same design as the It's so Easy 2418, which is also the same as 2594. Simplicity sure got a lot of mileage out of this one!! Is this one cut on the bias? 2418 is, and I thought it turned out really nicely. The bias cut gives it a nice figure skimming shape.

Anonymous said...

Can anyone help me with direction #3 on this pattern? I'm stumped at "With right sides together, pin front to yoke front and back at forward shoulder seams. Stitch...

Does that mean three pieces, and if so, how do you get the right side of three pieces?

Help.....

Adelaide B said...

This top did not work for me, so I have the pattern buried somewhere in a box. If I remember correctly, there was a yoke facing, maybe they are talking about stitching the front to the yoke and the yoke facing at the same time? So, it would be yoke and front with right sides together with the yoke facing right side against the front wrong side. (And I imagine you would slip stitch the facing down on the backside.)