Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Party Dress

Here is my holiday party dress.  (Since I take these pictures with a tripod, my facial expression usually leaves something to be desired, which is why I am almost always headless.)  I have three events this year that call for a nice dress (Christmas, Fake New Year's eve, and a friend's reception) and I was in no mood to mess around with a new pattern and stress about fit.  (I had to monkey with the picture a little since there is no sun in Seattle.  The tights I am wearing are purple.)

I decided to go for a 60's silhouette, so I grabbed this great cotton sateen that I ordered ages ago from Fabric.com.  It's heavyish, but not too much for winter.  I decided the pattern I made for the drop cloth dress was perfect; the only change I made was to take in the side seams a little and raise the hem to knee length.

I have worn things that were more flattering to my body, but I have seldom had more fun in a dress.  I received tons of compliments and I am quite happy with it.  It's not perfect, there were some tension issues with my machine, but it's great for a one season dress.

5 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

I like your party dress a whole lot.

Uta said...

Those are lovely colors (and you rock it with the purple tights!). Happy New Year!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I love a print for a party dress! So much more fun than that sea of LBDs.

Andrea said...

I love the fabric you used for your party dress. I looks great and I like that you paired it with purple tights.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Love your party dress.. SO pretty. and looks great on you.