Friday, March 30, 2012

Vogue 8536

I've always hated sewing with knits.  Every once in awhile, I'll try it again because it would be nice to have some shirts that I don't have to iron.  Up to this point, I have only made one knit shirt that I have liked and worn more than a few times.  Well, here is another try, Vogue 8536.


It took me two weeks to make this (including the time that it took to make the worlds ugliest muslin.)  I added one inch to the length and took some of the shoulder width out.  It fits pretty well, but the fabric (ITY) is pretty thin and it clings to a lot of things I don't want clung to.

The sewing part actually went ok.  I used a stretch needle on my regular sewing machine and my serger for the shoulder and side seams.  There are a few unattractive parts on the inside, but I can live with that.  The pattern is pretty simple and as long as I went slowly and paid careful attention to my serger tension I was fine.  I might be willing to make another of these, but I'll wear it a few times before I make a decision.  Also, I would like it better if it was lower cut.  I'm a hussy that way.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

I like it and looks like a great fit. Nothing beats pulling out a no iron garment.

Faye Lewis said...

Nice job and great fit. Congrats on your second great sewing/fitting knit top experience. I've tried using a stretch needle when sewing knits as well, but find I do better with a jersey (ball point) needle. Hope you try another one soon.

Ginger said...

This is cute! It really looks great! I hate clingy, sheer knits, too-- I feel like it's almost always more flattering for clothes to skim over curves instead of revealing every detail of one's figure! This doesn't look like that, to me, at least!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Nice top! Watch out, though...knits are addictive.