This (V1327) is actually kind of cute. Good job. But knock it off with that other stuff. That shirt is crazy town.
Friday, October 26, 2012
Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Uh yeah, so I actually made something. A new pattern even. And a knit. (Which many people know I hate.) Inspired by Ginger Makes (and everybody else sews with knits) I decided that I need more knits in my wardrobe so I don't have to iron everything. Voila. Butterick 5753.
It is a little baggy, but that is because it has wings!
Yeah. I made a batwing knit shirt. I'm not sure if it is that flattering on me, but I purposefully left the bottom wide because having it stretched tight across my midsection is not awesome. I made two changes to the pattern.
- I made a large up top and an extra large at the bottom. The large would have fit me all the way down, but I didn't want it to be form-fitting around my waist. I'm gonna wear it for awhile and see if I need to take it in a little.
- I added 5 inches to the length of the side seam. The armhole is so big, that if I hadn't, I would have been flashing folks a little more than they probably would want to see.
Because I dislike sewing knits so much, I took it slowly, tested my needle first, and marked all of the hemlines before I folded over and stitched. I used my regular machine, not my serger, and everything went just fine. I don't think I will make another of these shirts, but I'll see how it goes after I wear it a few times.
Here is the line drawings from the pattern. I made view D.
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Hey, I recently started a book club on Goodreads not to long ago, and decided that it might actually be a good thing to tell people about it. It's The Classic Genre Fiction Club, and we are reading the classics in mystery, horror, science fiction, fantasy, westerns, thrillers, sensation, and romance. I noticed there were a lot of groups for literary classics and a ton of groups for modern genre books, and not much in the way of older genre stuff. This month we are reading Rosemary's Baby. Click on the book club link and join us if you are so inclined!
Monday, October 1, 2012
Today's post will have many topics; I have a few things on my mind.
* In order to help rejuvenate my sewing mojo, I am starting fresh. All previous projects, challenges, plans, and plots are thrown out the window. Everything that was dragging me down is now outta here.
* In that vein, I started a new project yesterday - a shirt - with all the best hopes. A new pattern, a pretty rayon challis, and a spark of enthusiasm. Turns out, the pattern was poorly drafted, the fabric not so suitable for me, and the fit all wrong. WADDER! I was bummed for a minute or two and then I just laughed. What else am I going to do?
* I am not enjoying the "improved" verification system that blogger installed awhile ago to prove that real people are commenting (number and wavy word.) I often have trouble making things out and get frustrated. So, I have changed the way folks can leave comments on my blog. You post it, I approve it. This seems to be working, except now I get a ton of spam. Knock it off spam peoples! Real people, thank you for your comments, they mean the world to me.
* So, I was reading a blog the other day that I really enjoy, and there was a comment by a woman making fun of another woman's (who hopefully does not read that blog) upper arms. As a woman who does not have the most toned upper arms, I am going to go sleeveless until I die. But most importantly, I am going to make an effort to be more kind in my thoughts towards others (and myself for that matter.) I may have never written unkind things about other people's looks, but I have thought them. I need to stop doing that. What happens in my head does matter, to me anyway. And I don't want to be that person. Turns out, it's just as easy to be kind.