Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Butterick 5753

Uh yeah, so I actually made something.  A new pattern even.  And a knit.  (Which many people know I hate.)  Inspired by Ginger Makes (and everybody else sews with knits) I decided that I need more knits in my wardrobe so I don't have to iron everything.  Voila.  Butterick 5753.


It is a little baggy, but that is because it has wings!


Yeah.  I made a batwing knit shirt.  I'm not sure if it is that flattering on me, but I purposefully left the bottom wide because having it stretched tight across my midsection is not awesome.  I made two changes to the pattern.
  1. I made a large up top and an extra large at the bottom.  The large would have fit me all the way down, but I didn't want it to be form-fitting around my waist. I'm gonna wear it for awhile and see if I need to take it in a little.
  2. I added 5 inches to the length of the side seam.  The armhole is so big, that if I hadn't, I would have been flashing folks a little more than they probably would want to see.
Because I dislike sewing knits so much, I took it slowly, tested my needle first, and marked all of the hemlines before I folded over and stitched.  I used my regular machine, not my serger, and everything went just fine.  I don't think I will make another of these shirts, but I'll see how it goes after I wear it a few times.

Here is the line drawings from the pattern.  I made view D.




5 comments:

Sheila said...

Cute top and love the shades of gray.

Faye Lewis said...

That's a pretty sweet top!

Angela said...

Great top! Love the fabric and good top to wear often.

gingermakes said...

Ooh, how cute! I really like this shape! I'm glad that someone else is catching knit fever! :)

The Slapdash Sewist said...

That's fun! I love a batwing, even though they're slightly impractical because hard to shove under a coat. The neutral colors means it will match everything.