Monday, January 28, 2013

Simplicity 1693

The early spring Simplicity patterns came out not too long ago, and one of the tops caught my eye as something cute, but easy to make if my hands were bothering me: Simplicity 1693.


Since the details are hard to see in this picture, here are the line drawings from the pattern (I made view B):

I would like you to take a closer look at the fabric because it is CRAZY.  It's hats.  


It came in a Fabricmart bundle, and was one of two pieces of rayon challis that I have had for awhile.  I wanted to test this shirt in a fabric with lots of drape, so here you go.  My husband laughs like a maniac whenever he sees this shirt.  I can't blame him.

Pattern: Simplicity 1693
Fabric: Rayon Challis from a Fabricmart Bundle
Sewing details: This is a very simple blouse to make.  Front, back, sleeves, and neck binding.  The bust darts were way too short, so I made them about twice as long and raised the bust point a bit.  (Yes, I did a very simple muslin first.  I always do.) My head was more than able to fit through the neck hole, so I made the back one piece instead of two.  For the neck binding, I made my own bias tape and put the binding on the outside, instead of on the inside as per the instructions.
Final Project: Aside from the super crazy fabric - which I'm kind of into actually - I dig this shirt.  It's super simple and suitable for a beginning sewist.  I'm not really up for a lot of details right now, so this was a fun project.  I will make some more, but vary the sleeves, and maybe doing a little drafting.  (This would make a nice blank slate for those wanting to practice some simple pattern alterations.)



5 comments:

Uta said...

I like the hats. Cute!

gingermakes said...

So cute! I like the hats, too.

Faye Lewis said...

Nice top. I love the hats.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I keep meaning to develop a TNT pullover woven top. I think you'll be using this pattern a lot!

Angela said...

Love the top! Hehe... the print cute. It would make me smile every time I wore it. :)