Monday, March 11, 2013

The Tyranny of Food

So, I have a totally stupid sewing problem. My arthritis is weird enough that my rheumatologist thinks that it might be food related, so he sent me to a naturopathic nutritionist that works at the same clinic. There are a lot of people who are resistant to investigating food as the source of their illness, but I already have celiac disease and know how much of an impact food can have.  (A little teeny tiny bit of soy sauce can knock me out for 2+ days.) I am now on my third elimination diet (where they strip away possible allergens in your diet) and have lost about 20 pounds. (First we reduced amines, then I was on a grain-free elimination diet, and now we are testing salicylates.) This new diet is really strict, but I am cautiously optimistic about it, since the last one made me super sick. However, this is going to take a while longer to work out.

Now, my sewing policy has always been to sew for the size I am right now. Not what I want to be, or where I might be later. Right now. But, I seem to still be losing weight and am hesitant to whip up a bunch of clothes that won't fit me later. But I need new clothes, because the old ones are getting too baggy. I am starting to have a little more energy, but I need to approach any sewing with a plan.

1) See if I can take in some older stuff.
2) Sew new clothes in such a way that they would be easy to take in later if I need to.
3) Choose styles that aren't fitted so it won't be so noticeable if they are a little big.

I'm going to go to the store tomorrow and get a few things, but I hate shopping. What I really want to do is whip up the Hollyburn skirt from Sewaholic, but I'm holding off. Grr. Does this sound like I'm being whiney over something a lot of people would celebrate? Well, let me lay it out for you. I would happily be a size 16 forever if I did not have arthritis. Also, elimination diets are really hard. I cannot tell you how much I just want Indian or Mexican food right now. I have not had a chile or a tomato in forever. Sigh. Yes, I'm being a whiner, but I'm just going to embrace it. But seriously, I want this skirt.


6 comments:

Angela said...

I'm in the midst of losing weight and am in a similar boat as far as sewing is concerned. Hehe... it can be frustrating at times. I think the Hollyburn skirt would be easy enough to take in if needed, except if patterns need to be matched.

Hope things stabilize for you soon and that you feel better!

Uta said...

Ugh, that diet does NOT sound fun! I hope it helps you get well, that's the least it should do ;-) How about sewing a bit with ponte fabric? Stretchy but not clingy. A pair of ponte pants and some tunic style tops should fit through a little weight change. (I hear you on the new clothes, though - I always fear changing sizes because I'm so attached to my clothes. I keep them forever, hate shopping, and sew quite slowly.)

gingermakes said...

Awww man, that's so unfortunate. Crossing my fingers that this diet reveals the source of your discomfort and you're able to get some relief from the arthritis pain. :( But yeah, I second Uta's suggestion of using ponte knits and tunic-type patterns. Dresses and tops that are fitted through the shoulders, but fairly loose below should work, and you can just belt them to fit!

Jean said...

Elimination diets do not sound fun at all, but if it is helping to find the culprit, it's all worth it!

Faye Lewis said...

So sorry about the ups and downs that you are experiencing. Hopefully it will help you find a happy medium sometime soon.

Thank you for joining the sewalong - mighty glad to have you too!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

You are so brave and dedicated! I hope you can find the culprit foods and work out an enjoyable diet without them. Living without nightshades would be so hard. :(

As for the skirt, how about hidden elastic in the waistband? If you cut the elastic the same length as the waistband, it will just read like a sturdy, well-interfaced waistband. You could take it in a teeny bit if needed later without it getting that pucker telltale elastic look. I use elastic in many of my skirt waistbands just for a firm fit that won't stretch out. Nobody would ever guess that they are technically "elastic waist skirts."