Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Renfrew Top

Okey doke. I have made my first top for Faye's Essential Tops Sew-a-long. I made the Renfrew top from Sewaholic Patterns.


It's a little ripply around the sleeve and hem edges because I had to go in and sew another hemline, since the first one wasn't deep enough and the edges folded under. (Normally, I wouldn't care so much, but it showed with this fabric.) Throwing it in the wash should take care of it. (Pressing can only take out so much with this cotton lycra stuff.)

You may notice from the line drawings that the pattern calls for bands instead of hems on the arms and bottom.


This did not work for me. (I made a muslin and it was a disaster.)  I may modify them in the future (to be smaller) but I found the shirt worked for me without them. This is the first shirt I have made mostly on my serger and the first knit shirt I have ever been satisfied with. The fit is not perfect, but it's a T-shirt and I'm not gonna drive myself silly trying to get that wrinkle over the bust out. (Also until I finish losing weight, I'm not gonna be perfecting the fit on anything. Waste of time.)

I enjoyed making this pattern, and I already have the fabric to make another one. The directions are clear, and while the bands didn't work for me, I can see how they would make the finishing look super professional.




7 comments:

gingermakes said...

Nice! I love the color!

Faye Lewis said...

What a great review of the pattern that's been on my list for quite some time now. You made me really want to get it now. Yours is a nice tee shirt too.

Dk's Wife said...

I love the Renfrew tops. Your's looks great. The fit is fantastic.

Angela said...

Very nice~! Beautiful color on you!

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Beautiful t=shirt..Love the color.. Congradulations on the weight loss.
I agree no need to adjust fit too much, when your still losing..
I like the renfrew ,with out the band too.. Looks better to me.

Jean said...

Great top in a fun color!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Serger construction goes so fast that it feels like cheating! I'm guessing this won't be the last top you make this way. Great color for you!