Friday, May 17, 2013

Vogue 8468

Holy crap, I made something! Somehow everything aligned yesterday and both my fatigue and pain receded enough for me to get something done. Weird. I've started seeing a new doctor for my arthritis, but it's too early for anything to happen. Well, I just took it as a gift, and made a dress. I didn't want to make a muslin and I didn't want something I couldn't wear in a month or two. (I don't want to talk about what happened with my latest elimination diet, but I am left with only a few foods that I can eat anymore.) So, I went to my stash and grabbed 8468, which is from 2008, but which I had never made. I did my best to strike a sullen model pose. (Actually, it's just what I kind of look like.)


It's a basic shift dress with gathers under the front yoke, and I was always surprised that Vogue released it. Just doesn't seem their kind of thing.

It's pretty cute from the front and back, but the side view is hideous. I suspected it would be before I started; this style is just not suited for bosomy ladies. I'm gonna show you, because I really have no shame.


It's my grandmother's house dress. I was prepared, but jeez. So bad. However, it was nice just to st down at the sewing machine and make something uncomplicated. I've lost so much weight that almost I  need to refit all my tried and true patterns. Oh well. Maybe when I get well, I can enjoy the weight loss. Anyway, it's not my job to look good, so my dresses can be as unflattering as hell as long as I am having fun. 

Project Notes: I did not look at the pattern instructions, nor did I line this dress. ( I am a big fan of slips.) The fabric is a quilting cotton I bought years and years ago, and I just used bias tape on the neck and arm holes. The neckline was crazy high on this. I lowered it a bit and could have taken out even more. I'm not gonna make this again, but it will work as a shift around the house or when things get really hot outside.



5 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

Nothing like a great shirt especially for the summer. So glad you are feeling better too!

Uta said...

That's dedictaion, using your first burst of energy to sew something :-) ! How about adding a belt? The fabric is cute, the shape is certainly all right, and you're right, it's not your job to look stylish (wouldn't say you don't look good though!). It's so much more important to feel good, and I really keep my fingers crossed you'll get better. Will you have to stay on the diet? I hope you get to enjoy more food, sooner rather than later.

Sheila said...

Glad you are feeling better and able to get some sewing in. Pretty print and a belt would be perfect.

gingermakes said...

What a great color! I agree with Uta-- if you're not nuts about the silhouette, you could always belt it. But it looks like an awesome summer dress.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

The fabric is really cute! Maybe a belt or a sash? I'm big on an obi for this sort of thing. But really, on a hot summer day, I am totally ok wearing a tent! So maybe it will be nice to have for around the house. I hope the good day was the first of many to come!