Friday, June 28, 2013

Hollyburn Skirt

I wanted the Hollyburn skirt from Sewaholic Patterns, so I just decided to go for it. (I was holding off until my weight stabilized, but I decided that I needed a cute linen skirt now. Because it is hot in Seattle and you know, I just need a cute skirt.) I've been on a linen kick lately (as in I have bought a lot of linen lately) and decided to just make it. Here it is with blouse untucked:


Blouse tucked in: 


Waistband details:

I love love love this skirt. It feels both 1950ish and 1970ish when I put it on, and I can push it towards a particular era by what blouse I choose. I've already got one planned in lightweight denim.

Fabric: A somewhat stiffish linen purchased recently at Fabricmart. The color is a light cornflower blue that I just love so much. 

Details: I followed the instructions for the pocket application, but then just did my own thing. I inserted an invisible zipper instead of the called for slot zipper, and added two vintage buttons on the waistband tabs. I added the tabs because even though I don't usually wear things tucked in, I wanted the option to do so. I also machine sewed the hem. I thought I needed an extra 1/2 inch in the waistband (I didn't) so I took the one-piece band, and turned it into a band with front and back sections so I could sew on the waistband before I did the side seams. I didn't make a muslin for this, so I wanted to make sure I could adjust if needed. I moved the tabs back a little so they covered the waistband side seams.

Difficulties: For some reason I had issues sewing the back seam right underneath the zipper. I had to rip it out a couple of times (which was annoyingly hard because the thread was a perfect match.) I ended up hand sewing for about an inch and a half. I was using my secondary machine for this, so maybe that has something to do with it. I just don't know.

Conclusion: I love the way this skirt looks and it was a pleasure to sew. I will definitely make more of them!



6 comments:

Angela said...

Great skirt! The color is fantastic on you. I can see why you wanted to sew it up right away. Sorry the bank gave you some headache... I know how difficult it is to rip out perfectly matched thread... it is NO FUN!

Faye Lewis said...

Well worth the price of an independent pattern I think.
Love the cornflower blue and the waistband treatment.

gingermakes said...

Really cute! I love the shape of this skirt on you!

Jean said...

Very pretty skirt -- perfect color and fabric choice for summer!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I like the volume in the this skirt! You're right, it can go for any era if you style it right.

Sheila said...

Great skirt and the color is perfect. Also like the waistband detail.