Thursday, June 6, 2013

New Look 6125 x 2

So, I've knocked off the first of my summer dress wishlist - not just once but twice! It's a very simple A-line dress from New Look. I was drawn to the simple lines of it and the easy sewing. The arthritis in my hands is doing better, but I'm not quite up to anything fancy yet.

Version 1:


This dress is made from a lightweight stretch cotton I purchased from Gorgeous Fabrics several years ago. I don't know why my grin is so goofy.

Version 2:


This one is made from another stretch cotton; this one from fabric.com. I did avoid putting a giant flower right across my bust, bit I could have placed it a little lower. Good enough though. As you can tell, I did not worry about pattern matching across the back pieces. I'm just not there right now.

I did not line either dress, and used bias tape to finish the neck and arm holes. The ease on this dress - if you follow the pattern envelope - is crazy large. I can see why folks on the internets complained about this being a tent dress. I choose to go down several sizes. If I was to use a non-stretch fabric I would think seriously about adding a zipper in the back. Rather than a tent, I feel like I have a cute 60's inspired dress. I did muslin this, and I'm happy I did. The darts needed lengthening, there was some gaping at the armhole, and some drag lines in the front. (Lengthening the darts and moving some of the fullness in the armhole got rid of the drag lines fyi.) I have plans to make this again in a lovely orange stretch linen I just bought. If I'm up to it, maybe some embroidery? I feel like I have been making the simplest of clothes lately, but they suit the summer, and I'm grateful to just be sewing. I feel like some of my interest is coming back.

7 comments:

Angela said...

Love your dresses and they look perfect for summer! Simple is good and easy to wear on a regular basis and a great way to build your wardrobe. :)

Faye Lewis said...

Both dresses are gorgeous, but I'm especially smitten by the one with the dots - so very nice!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty and classic.

Sheila said...

Lovely dresses and love the simple style lines, which is perfect to showcase the print. Thanks for the review because I have that pattern.

Shannon said...

These look great. Simple, and very chic. Love them!

Jean said...

So cute! I especially love the dot dress.

gingermakes said...

Really cute! I love this shape!