Friday, July 5, 2013

Happy 5th of July and a Denim Hollyburn

I'm still recovering from the 4th, which at our house is celebrated with a BBQ, a roast pig, the roller coaster my husband built in the yard, bb guns, crazy amounts of fireworks, and anyone we can convince to come over. This year managed to be both epic and mellow, and now that I've cleaned up the house (my husband is still outside picking up the shrapnel) I have a moment to breathe. I managed to sew up a denim Hollyburn skirt on the 3rd, and wore it to celebrate the Independence of my country. Here I am with my niece Alice, who just turned 4.


This skirt was as easy and satisfying to make as the last one. I did try to insert a slot zipper, but quite frankly, that was a debacle. I ripped it out and inserted an invisible zip. The top stitching is all in red, as is the zipper, and as soon as I find some buttons I like, I will add the tabs and buttons to the waistband. Or not. I'm not sure I'll ever tuck anything in with this one. 

8 comments:

Jean said...

Sounds like you had a great 4th! Your niece is such a cute little one!

Faye Lewis said...

Looks and sounds like you all had an epic 4th of July, would have loved being there with all that fun. Love the looks of your skirt, such a classic too.

gingermakes said...

Wait a minute-- ROLLER COASTER?! Wow! That's awesome! The skirt looks great, and your niece is cute as a button!

Uta said...

Great skirt! I've had fabric for my denim skirt for three years now... Hmmm. A rollercoaster in the yard sounds fantastic/unbelievable. You are one crafty couple!

Sheila said...

Glad you had a great July 4th. Your niece is such a cutie and am sure she had a blast on the rollercoaster. Speaking of denim, I purchased rit dye in the hopes of bringing a denim garment back to life.

Tanya said...

Great skirt and your niece is such a cutie.

Angela said...

Ooo... wish I was over at your house! Hehe... cute skirt and niece! Hope you got some rest!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Adorable and perfect for the 4th! I am highly impressed with the elaborateness of your Independence Day celebrations.