Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Simplicity 1693 Redux

Ok, you may or may not remember my crazy hat shirt from last January, but now that I am smaller, I  resized the pattern and gave it another shot. I saw a lot of online sales this past holiday weekend, but I decided that instead of adding to my stash (which is quite big enough) I would buy something locally and make it up over the weekend. I spent a little more per yard than I usually do, but the fabric was so lovely, I could not help myself. It's a Nani Iro double gauze and I love it to death.




Here it is made into a shirt.






I chose this pattern because it is a very simple pullover style, but man are those sleeves kinda big. This fabric has little drape, and while it works for the body, it makes the sleeves more bell-like than I would have chosen. (I feel like they look bigger in real life.) I went a little big, to create a boxier profile in the body, but I'm not sure if I am going to keep the sleeves this way or modify them to look smaller. (Any thoughts?) I am also wondering if the shirt looks oversized or just too big. I'll wear it a few times and see what I think. This is a very versatile pattern for me because I can modify it, and the next version will have a simple cap sleeve, I think.

I did make a muslin of this because the bust dart was waaaaaaaaaay too low for me. I raised it and then rotated the dart ends up a little towards the armpit. Sometimes when the dart end is lower than the point, it can look a little funny on me. This was a pretty easy fix and something I may do more often. (I also lengthened the dart, but I almost always do that anyway. Since I've lost weight, I think the hardest change to make has been determining where I want the dart to end. Still working on it.

I have been trying not to buy a lot of new fabric since I already have a fairly large stash, but I don't want to limit the inspiration that can come from having new fabrics. So I've decided it's okay to buy new fabric, but they need to go in the "sewing soon" pile instead of the bins.

3 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

I remember your hat shirt, and remember think "how cute". I think your new top looks oversized rather than to big, because it fits in the shoulder/bust area well. I like your reasoning on buying fabric.

Jean said...

Great fabric! Yes, I think a smaller cap sleeve would be really cute. I like the swing shape of the top -- doesn't look too big at all.

gingermakes said...

Oooh, this fabric is amazing! Love it as a top!