Thursday, September 19, 2013

Vogue 8876

Before the weather turns, I thought I would make one of the dresses from my summer wishlist before it gets too late. I had so much fun making Vogue 8813, I thought I would make another Marcy Tilton dress.

Here I am in the dress:


Rear View:

Closeup:

This dress was fun to make. Right now, my least favorite part of sewing is the prep work. (I hate cutting stuff out.) And this had a lot of pieces. But, once I got everything cut out, it was pretty straightforward to sew; I just followed the instructions. It's says average on the pattern envelope, and I would say that is accurate. There is a lot of hand sewing, but nothing complicated. There is supposed to be a ribbon in the collar to cinch it up, but I really like it just the way it is. I have some ribbon for it, and may choose to add it at a later date.

Here is the line drawing so you can get a sense of the details that don't show up in my picture:



The fit on this is supposed to be very loose, but I don't really like that. I choose the size that was just a couple of inches above my own measurements, and then took it in a little along the side seams. I did not make a muslin of this because I am a daredevil, and I figured the 40 million inches of ease would give me something to play with.

The fabric I used for this dress is an amazing linen I bought at Fabricmart earlier in the summer. (I have one piece of linen left over from that order. It's going to be an awesome top for Fall. I hope.) It was a dream to sew and is on the heavier side, so it should work well for the transition to Fall. I purchased the buttons at Nancy's Sewing Basket, my neighborhood fabric store.

Button closeup:


I had a lot of fun making this dress, and hope to have as much fun wearing it. I'm trying to incorporate more red into my wardrobe. I think this will do. 




3 comments:

Uta said...

So pretty! I love the little collar and the flared fit. You did well to reduce the ease! And the color is wonderful on you, too (a bit French with the dark hair, non?).

Jean said...

I love your version! The linen works well for this pattern. And I think red really suits you!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I love the color on this and I think the collar is good as is. It seems weird that it's supposed to be cinched--it's a nice little vintagey look just as it is!