Thursday, September 19, 2013

Vogue 8876

Before the weather turns, I thought I would make one of the dresses from my summer wishlist before it gets too late. I had so much fun making Vogue 8813, I thought I would make another Marcy Tilton dress.

Here I am in the dress:


Rear View:

Closeup:

This dress was fun to make. Right now, my least favorite part of sewing is the prep work. (I hate cutting stuff out.) And this had a lot of pieces. But, once I got everything cut out, it was pretty straightforward to sew; I just followed the instructions. It's says average on the pattern envelope, and I would say that is accurate. There is a lot of hand sewing, but nothing complicated. There is supposed to be a ribbon in the collar to cinch it up, but I really like it just the way it is. I have some ribbon for it, and may choose to add it at a later date.

Here is the line drawing so you can get a sense of the details that don't show up in my picture:



The fit on this is supposed to be very loose, but I don't really like that. I choose the size that was just a couple of inches above my own measurements, and then took it in a little along the side seams. I did not make a muslin of this because I am a daredevil, and I figured the 40 million inches of ease would give me something to play with.

The fabric I used for this dress is an amazing linen I bought at Fabricmart earlier in the summer. (I have one piece of linen left over from that order. It's going to be an awesome top for Fall. I hope.) It was a dream to sew and is on the heavier side, so it should work well for the transition to Fall. I purchased the buttons at Nancy's Sewing Basket, my neighborhood fabric store.

Button closeup:


I had a lot of fun making this dress, and hope to have as much fun wearing it. I'm trying to incorporate more red into my wardrobe. I think this will do. 




Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Simplicity 1693 Redux

Ok, you may or may not remember my crazy hat shirt from last January, but now that I am smaller, I  resized the pattern and gave it another shot. I saw a lot of online sales this past holiday weekend, but I decided that instead of adding to my stash (which is quite big enough) I would buy something locally and make it up over the weekend. I spent a little more per yard than I usually do, but the fabric was so lovely, I could not help myself. It's a Nani Iro double gauze and I love it to death.




Here it is made into a shirt.






I chose this pattern because it is a very simple pullover style, but man are those sleeves kinda big. This fabric has little drape, and while it works for the body, it makes the sleeves more bell-like than I would have chosen. (I feel like they look bigger in real life.) I went a little big, to create a boxier profile in the body, but I'm not sure if I am going to keep the sleeves this way or modify them to look smaller. (Any thoughts?) I am also wondering if the shirt looks oversized or just too big. I'll wear it a few times and see what I think. This is a very versatile pattern for me because I can modify it, and the next version will have a simple cap sleeve, I think.

I did make a muslin of this because the bust dart was waaaaaaaaaay too low for me. I raised it and then rotated the dart ends up a little towards the armpit. Sometimes when the dart end is lower than the point, it can look a little funny on me. This was a pretty easy fix and something I may do more often. (I also lengthened the dart, but I almost always do that anyway. Since I've lost weight, I think the hardest change to make has been determining where I want the dart to end. Still working on it.

I have been trying not to buy a lot of new fabric since I already have a fairly large stash, but I don't want to limit the inspiration that can come from having new fabrics. So I've decided it's okay to buy new fabric, but they need to go in the "sewing soon" pile instead of the bins.